Orange Cake with a citrus drizzle
This fluffy orange cake is one of our all-time favorite recipes.
Enjoy on its own or serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
For the orange sponge:
125 butter, softened
¼ cup milk
¾ cup castor sugar
1 ½ cups self – raising flour sifted.
1 tablespoon orange zest
For the icing drizzle :
1 ½ cups icing sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons orange juice + 1 tablespoon zest
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper and pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine butter and castor sugar and mix with an electric whisk until soft.
- Slowly start adding the eggs and keep whisking until the mixture becomes airy and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest and fold in the flour. Add the milk at the end and do not over whisk.
- Add the mixture to the pre lined cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- In the meantime make your icing.
- Melt butter and stir in the sieved icing sugar.
- Add the lemon juice and zest.
- Once the cake has come out of the oven allow to cool.
- Then add the orange drizzle over.